New Employee Information
Welcome to Penn Engineering, Office of Human Resources. We hope you will find the information within the site helpful. You may also contact us with questions.
Before you arrive on your first day:
Complete the online I-9 Form: You will need to complete Section I of Form I-9 no more than 30 days before your start date, to establish your identity and your authorization to work in the U.S. To do so:
- Go to: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/I9
- Select School of Engineering and Applied Science from the drop-down as your location
- Click Continue then Get Started and follow prompts
Become familiar with campus and commuting options:
- Campus map: https://www.facilities.upenn.edu/maps
- Parking: http://cms.business-services.upenn.edu/transportation/
On your first day of employment:
- Bring in the appropriate documentation in order for us to complete the I-9 process (list of acceptable documentation is here)
- Meet with your Department supervisor and colleagues
- Complete New Hire Paperwork with your Department’s assigned Penn Engineering Business Office
- Obtain a PennCard
- Obtain a PennKey and password, which is required to enable access to a number of electronic services at the University
- Set up a UPennAlert Account https://www.publicsafety.upenn.edu/pennready/upennalert/
Within your first 30 days of employment:
Select and enroll in your benefits
Within the first two weeks of starting the job, you will receive a benefits enrollment packet from the Penn Benefits Center. If you do not receive the packet within two weeks of starting, you should contact the Penn Benefits Center at 1-888-PENNBEN (1-888-736-6236).
If you are hired on or after July 1, 2018 or become newly eligible for benefits, you have 30 days from the date your benefits become effective to enroll for healthcare coverage. If hired on the first day of the month, your benefits are effective on your hire date. If hired any day after the first of the month, your benefits are effective the first of the month following your hire date. (Example: If you are hired August 1, your benefits are effective August 1. If you are hired August 2 or thereafter,your benefits are effective September 1).
To learn more about benefit options, call the Penn Benefits Center (1-888-736-6236).
Obtain a copy of our position description and meet with your supervisor to review the job responsibilities, practices, performance expectations, policies and procedures.
Attend New Staff Orientation
Contact Penn Engineering, Office of Human Resources to schedule a New Staff Orientation meeting. If you are a foreign national, contact Penn Engineering’s Immigration and Employment Manager to schedule an immigration orientation. The University regularly offers a formal New Staff Orientation conducted by the Learning and Education department within the Division of Human Resources. Newly hired staff members will be automatically pre-registered for New Staff Orientation and will receive notification of that registration date via email. If notification of registration is not received within two months of hire date, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.