Information for Managers
New staff members need to be properly oriented to the University and the School of Engineering and Applied Science. The following information will be useful in assisting Penn Engineering managers with this important responsibility.
On the new staff member’s first day, his/her supervisor should schedule a meeting to:
- Introduce the new staff member to the department and school staff.
- Provide an overview of the department.
- Review list of Work-related Policies/Guidelines
- Discuss appropriate dress code.
- Arrange for the new staff member to obtain a PennCard.
- Obtain a PennKey and password, which is required to enable access to a number of electronic services at the University. A setup code is usually provided when obtaining a PennCard, but if not provided by the PennCard Center, a code can be obtained at the CETS office in 162 Levine Hall.
- Have the staff member create their email account online once they have obtained their PennKey.
- Contact CETS if any of the following are needed (include the staff member’s username and full name in the request, but DO NOT provide password information.):
- Electronic folders/shared directories
- Filemaker software
- Calendar software
- Email software
- Mailing lists they will manage
- Add the staff member to the seas-staff mailing list by contacting the Dean’s office at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Arrange to have telephone services updated for the new staff member. Be sure to delete old numbers/voice mail associated with the phone or office.
- Arrange for necessary room keys.
- Use this opportunity to remove the previous staff member’s accounts and access to services, if not done already.
Within the first few days of the staff member’s employment:
- Provide the staff member with a copy of his/her position description (PIQ).
- Meet with the new staff member to discuss the job responsibilities, practices, performance expectations, policies and procedures and the process of review during the introductory/evaluation period.
- Establish written performance expectations for goals/responsibilities that the staff member will be evaluated on. Document expectations in the Performance Appraisal Management System.
- Schedule a Penn Engineering new staff orientation meeting with Bernadette Foster, Penn Engineering Director of Human Resources, by calling 215-573-5640 or emailing email@example.com.
- Ensure that the new staff member receives the appropriate orientation to the Penn Engineering and the University.
Performance and Staff Appraisal Program: The Performance Appraisal Program provides formal assessment of an individual’s performance. Annual performance appraisals occur each spring and include both a self-appraisal by the staff member and the supervisor’s assessment of the staff member’s performance. Learn more